It’s not the companies’ responsibility to make you happy. It’s your job to find and create career happiness for yourself.
Author and Career Coach, Kanika Tolver shares innovative ways to brand, market, and sell yourself into jobs that promote work-life balance, fair compensation, and continuous career development. Career Rehab focuses on assisting career transformations for students, professionals, and retirees. In Career Rehab: Rebuild Your Personal Brand and Rethink the Way You Work, Kanika shares various research, success stories, interviews, and case studies on personal branding and re-invention.
Here are my favourite takeaways from reading: Career Rehab: Rebuild Your Personal Brand and Rethink the Way You Work.
Favourite Stats from Career Rehab Book by Kanika Tolver.
Researchers have found a link between the time you spend commuting and how satisfied you feel at work.
- The average commute time in the US is 50 minutes round trip, but some people spend far longer getting to and from work.
- Researchers in England found adding an additional 20 minutes of commuting per day has the same negative effect on job satisfaction as receiving a 19% pay cut.
- Overall, bus and train commuters report more dissatisfaction than those who walk or bike.
Global Knowledge 2020 IT Skills and Salary Report
- Learning a new skill or earning a certification can result in a raise upwards of $12,000 a year
- Eighty-seven percent of IT professionals have at least one certification, while nearly 40% are already pursuing their next certification.
Career Rehab Roles
- Cool Geeks
- Corporate Rebels
- Career Dropouts
Career Rehab You Framework
- Employees only get feedback when they perform poorly or make a mistake
- Competence in your skills, experience and training
- You tolerate the job, it does not tolerate you. Date Jobs and Marry the Dream: Define your dreams and Execute your Purpose.
Gallup poll on stress
The main culprits of work-related stress:
- deadlines (55 percent)
- interpersonal relationships (53 percent)
- staff management (50 percent)
- dealing with issues/problems that arise (49 percent)
The Power of Patience
It takes 6 months to land a new Job.
- Gray & Christmas survey (June 2020) reports that most respondents (56%) had been unemployed for one to two months. The majority (63%) believe it will take between one and six months to find work. While 46% of those surveyed said that they believe it will take four to six months to find another position, 38% think that it will likely take seven to 12 months.
Glassdoor reports a similar average time frame, 23.8 days, from interview to a job offer. However, this varies by industry: “Government (53.8 days), Aerospace & Defense (32.6 days) and Energy & Utilities (28.8 days). The sectors with the shortest interview processes are Restaurants & Bars (10.2 days), Private Security (11.6 days), and Supermarkets (12.3 days).”
If you ask for what you want be prepared to get it – Maya Angelou.
Average U.S. Retirement Age Rises to 62 Younger Americans are more likely to expect to retire before age 55
The average age at which U.S. retirees report retiring is 62, the highest Gallup has found since first asking Americans this question in 1991. This age has increased in recent years, while the average age at which non-retired Americans expect to retire, 66, has largely stayed the same. However, this age too has slowly increased from 63 in 2002.
About half of Americans do not think they will have enough money to retire comfortably, says Gallup Editor-in-Chief Frank Newport.
- Research a healthcare plan
- Communicate your retirement date to your spouse.
- Access your financials ( You may have to live with adjusted income)
- Identify some passions, you would like to pursue, make a list.
- Work in advance with your companies HR professional to work with you.
According to the 2020 annual report of the Social Security Board of Trustees, the surplus in the trust funds that disburse retirement, disability and other Social Security benefits will be depleted by 2035.
To qualify for retirement benefits, you need 40 Social Security credits. You earn credits by paying Social Security tax on your income, and you can earn up to four per year.
Financial Planning Software for Individuals
Financial Planning Software for Financial Advisors
Recommended Tools for Branding
- Fiverr – Freelance Services Marketplace for Businesses
- 99 Designs
- Legal Zoom – Personalized, online legal solutions and legal documents for small businesses and families
- Trade Markia – World’s Largest Search Engine For Trademarks
Free Marketing Tools
- Hootsuite: Social Media Marketing & Management Dashboard
- Social Media Business Pages (Linkedin, Youtube, Twitter, Facebook)
- Mailchimp: All-In-One integrated marketing platform for small businesses,
- Google Analytics: Web Analytics Service
- WordPress: free and open-source content management system (CMS)
- Yoast SEO Plugin: WordPress SEO Plugin
- Canva Graphic Design Platform
- Bing Places for Business
- Google Search Console
Other great advices:
- Update your resume often.
- Align it to the kind of roles you are exploring
- Brush up on your technical skills
- Divorce the Job for the Dream
All the best in your quest to get better. Don’t Settle: Live with Passion.