One of the hallmarks of leadership is the ability to be courageous in times of crisis as Martin Luther once quipped the ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Bronnie Ware, former palliative caregiver and author of The Top Five Regrets of the Dying: A Life Transformed by the Dearly Departing, she recorded the top regrets of the dying, On top of the list is:
I wish I’d had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.
Here are 30 quotes on courage.
- Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising which tempt you to believe that your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires courage.—RALPH WALDO EMERSON
- Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen. – Winston Churchil
- On some positions, Cowardice asks the question, “Is it safe?” Expediency asks the question, “Is it politic?” And Vanity comes along and asks the question, “Is it popular?” But Conscience asks the question, “Is it right?”… The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of convenience, but where he stands in moments of challenge, moments of great crisis and controversy.― Martin Luther King Jr., The Autobiography of Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma – which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. – Steve Jobs
- Courage is more exhilarating than fear and in the long run it is easier. We do not have to become heroes overnight. Just a step at a time, meeting each thing that comes up, seeing it is not as dreadful as it appeared, discovering we have the strength to stare it down. – Eleanor Roosevelt
6. Courage isn’t having the strength to go on – it is going on when you don’t have strength.― Napoleon Bonaparte
7. Courage doesn’t happen when you have all the answers. It happens when you are ready to face the questions you have been avoiding your whole life.― Shannon L. Alder
8. Courage is the most important of all the virtues because without courage, you can’t practice any other virtue consistently.― Maya Angelou
9. A man with outward courage dares to die; a man with inner courage dares to live.― Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
10. Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.― Winston Churchill
11. The greatest test of courage on the earth is to bear defeat without losing heart.- R. G. Ingersoll
12. There is nothing in the world so much admired as a man who knows how to bear unhappiness with courage.– Seneca
13. You cannot swim for new horizons until you have courage to lose sight of the shore.―William Faulkner
14. Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear – not absence of fear.― Mark Twain
15. Success means having the courage, the determination, and the will to become the person you believe you were meant to be.― George Sheehan
16. All you need is the plan, the road map, and the courage to press on to your destination.- Earl Nightingale
17. Real courage is knowing what faces you and knowing how to face it.- Timothy Dalton:
18. All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them. – Walt Disney
19. Courage is grace underpressure.- Ernest Hemingway
20. Wherever you see a successful business, someone once made a courageous decision. – Peter Drucker,
21. It often requires more courage to dare to do right than to fear to do wrong. – Abraham Lincoln
22. Courage is not the absence of fear but the ability to carry on with dignity in spite of it. – Scott Turow
23. Courage is what it takes to admit when you are wrong. – Michelle C. Ustaszeski
24. Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose.- Tom Krause
25. For courage to be authentic, one must encounter fear and prove superior to the fear through right action. – Mark Sturgell
26. If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. He will put some things behind, will pass an invisible boundary; new, universal, and more liberal laws will begin to establish themselves around and within him; or the old laws be expanded, and interpreted in his favor in a more liberal sense, and he will live with the license of a higher order of beings.”― Henry David Thoreau, Walden
27. The opposite for courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.– Jim Hightower
28. Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. – T. S. Eliot
29. Everyone has talent. What’s rare is the courage to follow it to the dark places where it leads.– Erica Jong
30. It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.– Theodore Roosevelt
All the Best in your quest to get better. Don’t Settle: Live with Passion.