That is why humans resist life. To be alive is the biggest fear humans have. Death is not the biggest fear we have; our biggest fear is taking the risk to be alive — the risk to be alive and express what we really are. Just being ourselves is the biggest fear of humans. We have learned to live our lives trying to satisfy other people’s demands. We have learned to live by other people’s points of view because of the fear of not being accepted and of not being good enough for someone else.
One of the most impactful and thought-provoking books I have ever read is the Four Agreement: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom by Don Miguel Ruiz. The principles in the book is deceptively simple but very hard to practice. I try to read and listen to the book often as I need constant reminder of these simple principles.
Here are the four agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz:
Agreement 1: Be Impeccable with your Word
- Speak with integrity. Say only what you mean.
- Avoid using the word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others.
- Use the power of your word in the direction of truth and Love
Agreement 2: Don’t take anything personally
- Nothing others do is because of you.
- What others say and do is a projection of their own reality.
- When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others., you won’t be the victim of needless suffering.