Jean-Louis Lebris de Kérouac (March 12, 1922 – October 21, 1969), often known as Jack Kerouac, was an American novelist of French Canadian ancestry, who, alongside William S. Burroughs and Allen Ginsberg, was a pioneer of the Beat Generation.
Jack Kerouac’s 30 bullet point list titled: Belief and Technique for Modern Prose, contains great gems on the art of writing and living. The list was included in Portable Jack Kerouac, a compilation of Kerouac’s novels, poetry, letters, and essay.
In the book, Portable Jack Kerouac, the editor writes:
KEROUAC WAS INTERESTED in writing, rather than writing about writing, and he made few efforts to explain or theorize about his work. “Belief & Technique for Modern Prose,” thirty terse, sometimes enigmatic phrases and commands, was an attempt to describe what he was
doing, but “The Essentials of Spontaneous Prose” was a more extensive effort.
He wrote it at the request of Allen Ginsberg and William Burroughs in the fall of 1 953, after he had shown them the manuscript of The Subterraneans. His friends were so impressed by the fact that he’d written the entire book in three nights sitting at a table in the kitchen of his mother’s apartment in Queens that they asked him to describe how he’d done it.
Jack Kerouac’s 30 Beliefs and Techniques for Writing.
- Scribbled secret notebooks, and wild typewritten pages, for yr own JOY
- Submissive to everything, open, listening
- Try never get drunk outside yr own house
- Be in love with yr life
- Something that you feel will find its own form
- Be crazy dumbsaint of the mind
- Blow as deep as you want to blow
- Write what you want bottomless from bottom of the mind
- The unspeakable visions of the individual
- No time for poetry but exactly what is
- Visionary tics shivering in the chest
- In tranced fixation dreaming upon object before you
- Remove literary, grammatical and syntactical inhibition
- Like Proust be an old teahead of time
- Telling the true story of the world in interior monolog
- The jewel center of interest is the eye within the eye
- Write in recollection and amazement for yourself
- Work from pithy middle eye out, swimming in language sea
- Accept loss forever
- Believe in the holy contour of life
- Struggle to sketch the flow that already exists intact in mind
- Don’t think of words when you stop but to see picture better
- Keep track of every day the date emblazoned in yr morning
- No fear or shame in the dignity of yr experience, language & knowledge
- Write for the world to read and see yr exact pictures of it
- Bookmovie is the movie in words, the visual American form
- In praise of Character in the Bleak inhuman Loneliness
- Composing wild, undisciplined, pure, coming in from under, crazier the better
- You’re a Genius all the time
- Writer-Director of Earthly movies Sponsored & Angeled in Heaven