If your habits don’t line up with your dream, then you need to either change your habits or change your dream. If you want to hold on to your dream, then be prepared for a battle to change your habits because a bad habit never goes away by itself.
Bad habits are easy to form, but hard to break. Good habits are hard to form, but easy to live with. Our thoughts become our words, our words become our beliefs, our beliefs become our actions, our actions become our habits, and our habits become our realities. Your life is a summation of the good and bad habits you have formed over the years, it crystallizes into your ideals, your identity, and reality.
A habit is an idea that is fixed in a person’s subconscious mind that causes them to do something without any conscious thought.
On Habits : The ONE Thing: The Surprisingly Simple Truth Behind Extraordinary Results by Gary Keller:
- Don’t be a disciplined person. Be a person of powerful habits and use selected discipline to develop them.
- Build one habit at a time. Success is sequential, not simultaneous. No one actually has the discipline to acquire more than one powerful new habit at a time. Super-successful people aren’t superhuman at all; they’ve just used selected discipline to develop a few significant habits. One at a time. Overtime.
- Give each habit enough time. Stick with the discipline long enough for it to become routine. Habits, on average, take 66 days to form. Once a habit is solidly established, you can either build on that habit or, if appropriate, build another one
Habit is the intersection of knowledge (what to do), skill (how to do), and desire (want to do). -Stephen R. Covey
In Million Dollar Habits, Author Robert Ringers writes about the power of positive habits:
The world is saturated with intelligent, highly educated, extraordinarily skilled people who experience ongoing frustration because of their lack of success. Millions of others spend their lives working hard, long hours only to die broke. Ringer’s solution? Cultivate the right habits and practice them regularly.
- Remember, life is nothing more than the sum total of many successful years;
- a successful year is nothing more than the sum total of many successful months;
- a successful month is nothing more than the sum total of many successful weeks;
- a successful week is nothing more than the sum total of many successful days.
- That’s why practicing successful habits day in and day out is the most certain way to win over the long term
Here are 30 great quotes on habits;
- “People do not decide their futures, they decide their habits and their habits decide their futures.”—F. M. Alexander
- “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act, but a habit.” – Aristotle
- “Habit is habit, and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.”—MARK TWAIN
- “The individual who wants to reach the top in business must appreciate the might and force of habit. He must be quick to break those habits that can break him and hasten to adopt those practices that will become the habits that help him achieve the success he desires.”—J. PAUL GETTY
- “Habits are formed by the repetition of particular acts. They are strengthened by an increase in the number of repeated acts. Habits are also weakened or broken, and contrary habits are formed by the repetition of contrary acts.”—Mortimer Adler
- “Our character is basically a composite of our habits. Because they are consistent, often unconscious patterns, they constantly, daily, express our character.”- Stephen Covey
- “Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.”- Vince Lombardi
- “Habit is a cable; we weave a thread each day, and at last we cannot break it.”-Horace Mann
- “If you pick the right small behavior and sequence it right, then you won’t have to motivate yourself to have it grow. It will just happen naturally, like a good seed planted in a good spot.” ―BJ Fogg
- “You’ll never change your life until you change something you do daily. The secret of your success is found in your daily routine.” – John C. Maxwell
- “First forget inspiration. Habit is more dependable. Habit will sustain you whether you’re inspired or not.” -Octavia Butler
- “If you are going to achieve excellence in big things, you develop the habit in little matters. Excellence is not an exception, it is a prevailing attitude.” -Colin Powell
- “Motivation is what gets you started, Habits is what keeps you going.” – Jim Rohn
- “Habit is the intersection of knowledge (what to do), skill (how to do), and desire (want to do).” -Stephen R. Covey
- “Your beliefs become your thoughts, Your thoughts become your words, Your words become your actions, Your actions become your habits, Your habits become your values, Your values become your destiny.” – Gandhi
- “All people are the same; only their habits differ.”- Confucius
- “The law of harvest is to reap more than you sow. Sow an act, and you reap a habit. Sow a habit and you reap a character. Sow a character and you reap a destiny.” – James Allen
- “You cannot expect to attain success if you are not prepared. Life has a habit of giving back rewards in proportion to the effort we expend.” – Catherine Pulsifer
- “A man who can’t bear to share his habits is a man who needs to quit them.” – Stephen King
- “Successful people aren’t born that way. They become successful by establishing the habit of doing things unsuccessful people don’t like to do.” – William Makepeace Thackeray
- “Habit, if not resisted, soon becomes necessity.”- Saint Augustine
- “Good habits are hard to develop but easy to live with; bad habits are easy to develop but hard to live with. The habits you have and the habits that have you will determine almost everything you achieve or fail to achieve. –Brian Tracy
- “Habits are powerful but delicate. They can emerge outside our consciousness, or can be deliberately designed. They often occur without our permission, but can be reshaped by fiddling with their parts. They shape our lives far more than we realize—they are so strong, in fact, that they cause our brains to cling to them at the exclusion of all else, including common sense.”– Charles Duhigg
- “Your net worth to the world is usually determined by what remains after your bad habits are subtracted from your good ones.”– Benjamin Franklin
- “Choose the life that is most useful, and habit will make it the most agreeable.”-Francis Bacon
- “The best way to stop a bad habit is to never begin it.” – J.C. Penney
- “Character is simply habit long continued.”- Plutarch
- “To change a habit, make a conscious decision, then act out the new behavior.” – Maxwell Maltz
- “The creative habit is like a drug. The particular obsession changes, but the excitement, the thrill of your creation lasts.” – Henry Moore
- “Habits are safer than rules; you don’t have to watch them. And you don’t have to keep them either. They keep you.”- Frank Hall Crane
All the best in your quest to get better. Don’t Settle: Live with Passion.