“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” – Mark Twain
Purpose is the reason for which something is done or created or for which something exists. He who has a strong WHY can deal with anyhow. With purpose, you go the extra mile because you have a compelling vision and why you are doing whatever it is you are doing. It gives you direction, drive, unrelenting perseverance, and resilience. Your purpose keeps you going when times are tough because you have a clear vision of the future.
Author and Entrepreneur, Gary Keller, Author of ONE Thing: The Surprisingly Simple Truth Behind Extraordinary Results, share some great insights on the power of purpose:
Purpose is the straightest path to power and the ultimate source of personal strength—strength of conviction and strength to persevere.
The prescription for extraordinary results is knowing what matters to you and taking daily doses of actions in alignment with it. When you have a definite purpose for your life, clarity comes faster, which leads to more conviction in your direction, which usually leads to faster decisions.
When you make faster decisions, you’ll often be the one who makes the first decisions and winds up with the best choices. And when you have the best choices, you have the opportunity for the best experiences. This is how knowing where you’re going helps lead you to the best possible outcomes and experiences life has to offer.
“Adhere to your purpose and you will soon feel as well as you ever did. On the contrary, if you falter, and give up, you will lose the power of keeping any resolution, and will regret it all your life.”— Abraham Lincoln
Purpose also helps you when things don’t go your way. Life gets tough at times and there’s no way around that. Aim high enough, live long enough, and you’ll encounter your share of tough times.
That’s okay. We all experience this. Knowing why you’re doing something provides the inspiration and motivation to give the extra perspiration needed to persevere when things go south. Sticking with something long enough for success to show up is a fundamental requirement for achieving extra-ordinary results.”
Purpose provides the ultimate glue that can help you stick to the path you’ve set. When what you do matches your purpose, your life just feels in rhythm, and the path you beat with your feet seems to match the sound in your head and heart. Live with purpose and don’t be surprised if you actually hum more and even whistle while you work.
When you ask yourself, “What’s the ONE Thing I can do in my life that would mean the most to me and the world, such that by doing it everything else would be easier or unnecessary?” you’re using the power of The ONE Thing to bring purpose to your life.
“Life is never made unbearable by circumstances, but only by lack of meaning and purpose.” – Viktor Frankl
Here are some great quotes on purpose:
- “Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement.” – W. Clement Stone
- “The heart of human excellence often begins to beat when you discover a pursuit that absorbs you, frees you, challenges you, or gives you a sense of meaning, joy, or passion.” – Terry Orlick
- “The mystery of human existence lies not in just staying alive, but in finding something to live for.” – Fyodor Dostoyevsky
- “The soul which has no fixed purpose in life is lost; to be everywhere, is to be nowhere.” – Michel de Montaigne
- “The secret of success is constancy to purpose.” – Benjamin Disraeli
- “The person without a purpose is like a ship without a rudder.” – Thomas Carlyle
- “True happiness… is not attained through self-gratification, but through fidelity to a worthy purpose.” – Helen Keller
- “Great minds have purposes, others have wishes.” – Washington Irving
- “When you stay on purpose and refuse to be discouraged by fear, you align with the infinite self, in which all possibilities exist.” – Wayne Dyer
- “The best way to lengthen out our days is to walk steadily and with a purpose.” – Charles Dickens
- “Singleness of purpose is one of the chief essentials for success in life, no matter what may be one’s aim.” – John D. Rockefeller
- “You must first be who you really are, then do what you need to do, in order to have what you want.” – Margaret Young
- “Life is never made unbearable by circumstances, but only by lack of meaning and purpose.” – Viktor Frankl
- “When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced; live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.” – Indian Proverb
- “The great thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are going.” – Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
- To the person who does not know where he wants to go there is no favorable wind.” – Seneca
- “Nothing is more likely to help a person overcome or endure troubles than the consciousness of having a task in life.” – Victor Frankl
- “The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we stand as in what direction we are moving.” – Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
- “If you have a strong purpose in life, you don’t have to be pushed. Your passion will drive you there.” – Roy T. Bennett
- “The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away.” – Picasso
- “When you walk in purpose, you collide with destiny.” – Ralph Buchanan
- “To forget one’s purpose is the commonest form of stupidity.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
- “Efforts and courage are not enough without purpose and direction.” – John F. Kennedy
- “Your purpose in life is to find your purpose and give your whole heart and soul to it” – Buddha
- There is no hope of success for the person who does not have a central purpose, or definite goal at which to aim.” – Napoleon Hill
- “Your real job in life is to figure out what it is you are called to do,” – Oprah Winfrey
- “Find a purpose in life so big it will challenge every capacity to be at your best.” – David O. McKay
- “The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “If you can’t figure out your purpose, figure out your passion. For your passion will lead you right into your purpose.”- T. D. Jakes
- “You can accept reality, or you can persist in your purpose until reality accepts you.” – Robert Brault
All the best in your quest to get better. Don’t Settle: Live with Passion.