Boundaries are limits and rules we set for things we are responsible for. We define who we are and who we are not. We can set boundaries for our time and energy, personal space, identity, possessions, culture, spirituality, ethics, values, marriage, thought process, etc. Our Boundaries or lack of boundaries are shaped by among other things our upbringing, caregivers, family dynamics, life experiences, personality type (Introvert or extrovert), life experiences, worldview, etc.
Here are 30 quotes on setting boundaries:
- Boundaries define us. They define what is me and what is not me. A boundary shows me where I end and someone else begins, leading me to a sense of ownership. In addition to showing us what we are responsible for, boundaries help us to define what is not on our property and what we are not responsible for. – Henry Cloud
- Boundaries are a little like the walls of a sandcastle. The second we let one fall over, the rest of them come crashing down. – Greg McKeown
- The difference between successful people and really successful people is that really successful people say no to almost everything.– Warren Buffet
- Much of the time, the things we feel guilty about are not our issues. Another person behaves inappropriately or in some way violates our boundaries. We challenge the behavior, and the person gets angry and defensive. Then we feel guilty. – Melody Beattie
- Compassionate people ask for what they need. They say no when they need to, and when they say yes, they mean it. They’re compassionate because their boundaries keep them out of resentment. – Brene Brown
- When someone oversteps your boundaries, they‘re letting you know that what you want doesn’t matter. – Phil Good.
- When you say ‘yes‘ to others, make sure you‘re not saying ‘no’ to yourself. – Paulo Coelho
Stop asking why they keep doing it, and start asking why you keep allowing it.
- Walls keep everybody out. Boundaries teach people where the door is. – Mark Groves
- Love yourself enough to set boundaries. Your time and energy are precious. You get to choose how you use it. You teach people how to treat you by deciding what you will and won’t accept. – Anna Taylor
Boundaries are the lines we draw that mark off our autonomy and that of other people, that protect our privacy and that of others. Boundaries allow for intimate connection without dissolving or losing one’s sense of self.-Amy Bloom
- If someone gets mad at you for creating a boundary, consider that a good sign that the boundary was necessary. – -Jenna Korf
- Boundary setting helps you prioritize your needs over other people’s wants. ~ Lauren Kenson
No boundary or barrier surrounds the heart of a person that loves their self and others.-Shannon L. Alder
Your personal boundaries protect the inner core of your identity and your right to choices.-Gerard Manley Hopkins
Boundaries represent awareness, knowing what the limits are and then respecting those limits-David W. Earle
Healthy boundaries are not walls. They are gates and fences that allow you to enjoy the beauty of your own garden.-Lydia Hall
- Never allow people who suck, to suck the joy out of your day..– Karen Salmansohn
- Boundaries are actually the main factor in space, just as the present, another boundary, is the main factor in time. -Eduardo Chillida.
- The only boundaries we have are in form. There are no obstacles in thought. – Wayne Dyer
- Call it the superego, call it common sense, call it pragmatism, call it learned helplessness, but the mind craves boundaries. – N.K. Jemisin
- Guard your heart, mind and time. Those three things will determine the health of everything else in your life. – Adrena Sawyer.
- The boundary to what we can accept is the boundary to our freedom. – Tara Brach
- Honoring your own boundaries is the clearest message to others to honor them, too. – Gina Greenlee
- You are not being mean when you say no to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others. – Beverly Engel
- The surest way of concealing from others the boundaries of one’s own knowledge is not to overstep them. -Giacomo Leopardi
- The narrative of human life is most beautiful when told truthfully and without boundaries. – Shonda Rhimes
Setting boundaries inevitably involves taking responsibility for your choices. – Henry Cloud
- There is a boundary to men’s passions when they act from feelings; but none when they are under the influence of imagination. – Edmund Burke
- Setting boundaries is a way of caring for myself. It doesn’t make me mean, selfish, or uncaring because I don’t do things your way. I care about me too. – Christine Morgan.
- We cannot become what we want to be by remaining what we are. – Max DePree
- The boundaries of your creativeness create the boundaries of your world.– Debasish Mridha
All the Best in your quest to get Better. Don’t Settle: Live with Passion.