Complaining is like bad breath. We notice it when it comes out of someone else’s mouth, but not when it comes out of our own.
We all have the tendency to gripe, complain, make excuses and blame everyone except ourselves. It is human nature to complain about everything under the sun, we rant, complain, rage, get angry, and do anything to get it off our chest. All this is learned behavior which can be unlearned but it comes with the awareness that these habits need to be worked on to get us to the next level.
Some men have thousands of reasons why they cannot do what they want to, when all they need is one reason why they can. – Willis Whitney
Here are some top quotes on complaining, excusing and blaming:
If an optimist views the glass as half full and a pessimist views it as half empty, a complainer will tell you that the water in the glass is probably poisoned.
- The tendency to whining and complaining may be taken as the surest sign symptom of little souls and inferior intellects.—LORD JEFFREY
- The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it. – LOU HOLTZ
- The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts the sail. – William A. Ward
- If we had no faults of our own, we would not take so much pleasure in noticing those of others.—FRANÇOIS DE LA ROCHEFOUCAULD
- No one ever complained their way to the top.—FRANK PERDUE
- It is impossible to suffer without making someone pay for it; every complaint already contains revenge.—Friedrich Nietzsche
- Never tell your problems to anyone…20% don’t care and the other 80% are glad you have them. – Lou Holtz Jr.
- Complaining is like bad breath. We notice it when it comes out of someone else’s mouth, but not when it comes out of our own – Will Bowen
- If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude. Don’t complain. – Maya Angelou
- Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain, and most do. – Dale Carnegie
- Complaining does not work as a strategy. We all have finite time and energy. Any time we spend whining is unlikely to help us achieve our goals. And it won’t make us happier.― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
Never Explain, Never Complain. Those that need it don’t matter, Those that matter don’t need it.
There are a thousand excuses for failure but never a good reason. —MARK TWAIN
- Never make excuses. Your friends don’t need them and your foes won’t believe them. ―John Wooden
- The real man is one who always finds excuses for others, but never excuses himself. Henry Ward Beecher
- So after a while, if people won’t accept your excuses, you stop looking for them. – Ben Carson
- Ninety-nine percent of the failures come from people who have the habit of making excuses. – George Washington Carver
- He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else. ― Benjamin Franklin
- The heart has its reasons but the mind makes the excuses. ― Amit Abraham
- Never ruin an apology with an excuse. – Kimberly Johnson
- People with integrity do what they say they are going to do. Others have excuses. – Laura Schlessinger
- The trouble with excuses, however, is that they become inevitably difficult to believe after they’ve been used a couple of times. – Scott Spence
- You can make excuses or you can make progress – Brian Tracy
Losers make excuses; winners make progress.
There is an expiry date on blaming your parents for steering you in the wrong direction; the moment you are old enough to take the wheel, responsibility lies with you. – J.K.Rowling
- When you check your own mind properly, you stop blaming others for your problems. – Thubten Yeshe
- People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and, if they can’t find them, make them. –George Bernard Shaw
- Blaming is so much easier than taking responsibility, because if you take responsibility, then you might be to blame. – Jennifer O’Neill
- Taking responsibility means not blaming yourself. Anything that takes away your power or your pleasure makes you a victim. Don’t make yourself a victim of yourself! – Susan Jeffers
- An irresponsible person is a person who makes vague promises, then breaks his word, blames it on circumstances, and expects other people to forgive it. – Ayn Rand
- An ignorant person is inclined to blame others for his own misfortune. To blame oneself is proof of progress. But the wise man never has to blame another or himself. – Epictetus
- Wisdom stems from personal accountability. We all make mistakes; own them… learn from them. Don’t throw away the lesson by blaming others.― Steve Maraboli
Take your life in your own hands, and what happens? A terrible thing: no one to blame. – Erica Jong
- All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, it will not change you.- Wayne Dyer
- You are not a failure until you start blaming others for your mistakes. – John Wooden
- The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. – Robert Bloch
All the best in your quest to get better. Don’t Settle: Live with Passion.