The Public Figure documentary investigates the psychological effects of everyday social media use while exploring how our influencers deal with the fame, money, hate, and obsession that comes with it. The documentary features interviews with social media influencers worldwide, such as Bonang Matheba, Emmet Sparling, Thomas Sebastian Tribbie Matheson, Greg O’Gallagher, Denterio Hundon, Emma Rose, and Devour Power. The doc chronicles these influencers’ lifestyle, the effect of social media in their lives. They were interview excerpts from Sean Parker (Facebook Founding President) and Denzel Washington on the effect of too much social media use.
A social Media Influencer is a user on social media who has access to a large audience and can persuade others by virtue of their authenticity and reach.
- Bonang Matheba – Celebrity TV Personality @bonang_m – Pretoria, South Africa.
- Emmet Sparling – Travel/Adventure Photographer – Vancouver @Emmet_Sparling
- Thomas Sebastian Tribbie Matheson – @youvegotnomale New York City (Memer) 3 Interns. Gucci campaign, #TFWGucci
- Greg O’Gallagher – Fitness Entrepreneur @gregogallagher – Toronto.
- Chicago – Denterio Hundon -Comedian @denteriohundon
Bake Session – A moment when a person, place or thing is joked about in a certain way.
- : Emma Rose – Lifestyle Influencer @emmaroseofficial – Los Angeles
- New York City – Devour Power (Food and Travel Bloggers @devourpower
Instagram advertisers will spend $1.60 billion on Instagram influencers in 2018. $2.38 billion in 2019.
Sean Parker on Social Media Addiction
When Facebook was being developed the objective was: “How do we consume as much of your time and conscious attention as possible?” It was this mindset that led to the creation of features such as the “like” button that would give users “a little dopamine hit” to encourage them to upload more content. It’s a social-validation feedback loop … exactly the kind of thing that a hacker like myself would come up with because you’re exploiting a vulnerability in human psychology.
Denzel Washington on Social Media Use
- There are 4.2 billion Instagram likes per day.
- 210 million people are estimated to suffer from internet and social media addictions
- Average Overall Weekly Time Spent on All Media – 20 hours
- On average, children aged 8 to 11 spend 3.6 hours a day glued to a TV, mobile phone or tablet.
- The budget for social media advertising will be close to 150 billion in 2018. That is almost 3 times the amount on U.S. education.
Other Professionals Interviewed
- – Rianette Leibowitz – CEO – SaveTNet Cyber Safety
- Rose McGowan (Activist and Former Actress) – Rose is known for helping amplify the #metoo movement. Author of “Brave”, a memoir about her life.
- Benjamin Wong (Behavioural Addiction Clinical Counselor)
- Dr Alexandra G. Stratyner -Psychologist
- Dr Greg Kushnick – Psychologist
- Dr Harris Stratyner – Addictive Behavior Psychologist
- Sean Parker – Founding President of Facebook
All the Best in your quest to get Better. Don’t Settle: Live with Passion.