Contrary to what you see on social media, everyone is still trying to figure it out; we all struggle; it is ok not to be ok; it is ok not to be perfect, progress not perfection; momentum is the key to achieving anything worthwhile. We live in a world where everyone’s life looks perfect on their social media timelines, it is always greener on the other side, but the reality is that everyone is winging it and trying to figure it out. No one has a challenge-free life, and the key to getting things done is to keep moving.
Atelophobia is the fear of not doing something right or the fear of not being good enough. It’s a fear of imperfection. Atelophobia is etymologically composed of two Greek words: the prefix Atelo(s) means imperfect and phobia, which means fear.
Atelophobia – Fear of Imperfection.
You are uniquely made, it is normal not to know what is coming next. No one started where they are right now, they took the risk to start, they bet on themself in spite of their imperfection. We do not start because of fear, imperfection, and fear of judgment, but the only way to achieve anything worthwhile is to feel the fear and do it anyway, even with the resistance, Don’t worry, be crappy; you would get better with time. We are all flawed, imperfect and it is normal to make mistakes, errors, but the key is to always learn from the errors, embrace your flaws and be imperfectly perfect.
The word ‘imperfect’ actually spells ‘I’m perfect’ because everyone is perfect in their own imperfect ways.
Here are some great quotes on imperfection:
- “Better to do something imperfectly than to do nothing flawlessly.” – Robert H. Schuller
- “You are imperfect, you are wired for struggle, but you are worthy of love and belonging. Imperfections are not inadequacies; they are reminders that we’re all in this together.” – Brene Brown
- “Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it’s better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.” – Marilyn Monroe
- “Persuade thyself that imperfection and inconvenience are the natural lot of mortals, and there will be no room for discontent, neither for despair.” – Tokugawa Ieyasu
- “If you look closely at a tree you’ll notice its knots and dead branches, just like our bodies. What we learn is that beauty and imperfection go together wonderfully.” – Matthew Fox
- “A diamond with a flaw is worth more than a pebble without imperfections.” – Confucius
- “Practice doesn’t make perfect. Practice reduces the imperfection.” – Toba Beta
- “A man must be big enough to admit his mistakes, smart enough to profit from them, and strong enough to correct them.” – John C. Maxwell
- “There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way, and not starting.” – Buddha
- “The thing that is really hard, and really amazing, is giving up on being perfect and beginning the work of becoming yourself.” – Anna Quindlen
- “All men have their frailties; and whoever looks for a friend without imperfections, will never find what he seeks.” – Cyrus the Great
- “Perfectionism is a dangerous state of mind in an imperfect world.” – Robert Hillyer
- “Imperfection clings to a person, and if they wait till they are brushed off entirely, they would spin for ever on their axis, advancing nowhere.” –Thomas Carlyle
- “It is better to aim at perfection and miss, than to aim at imperfection and hit it.” – Thomas Watson
- “This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections.” – Isaac Asimov
- “Nothing and no one is perfect. It just takes a good eye to find those hidden imperfections.”- Daphne Delacroix
- “Men are more unwilling to have their imperfections known than their crimes.” – Chesterfield
- “You were born to be real not to be perfect. You are here to be you, not to live someone else’s life.” – Ralph Marston
- “Imperfection is not our personal problem – it is a natural part of existing.” – Tara Brach
The essence of being human is that one does not seek perfection.“- George Orwell
To be judged for your imperfections is to be judged for being human, mistakes are made, life goes on, don’t let other people change who you are.” -Lee Jameson
It belongs to the imperfection of everything human that man can only attain his desire by passing through its opposite.-Soren Kierkegaard
- “There is no light without shadow, and no psychic wholeness without imperfection.” -Carl Jung
- “It is only imperfection that complains of what is imperfect. The more perfect we are, the more gentle and quiet we become towards the defects of others.”-Joseph Addison
- “Stop trying to ‘fix yourself; you’re NOT broken! You are perfectly imperfect and powerful beyond measure.”-Steve Maraboli
- “Your imperfections are marks of authenticity and that is the beauty of you.”-Isaac King Fowler
- “There is nothing known as “Perfect”. Its only those imperfections which we choose not to see!!” -Albert Einstein
- “It is not worth the while to let our imperfections disturb us always.” – Henry David Thoreau
- “Things do not always go as planned. We have to make room for imperfection in our lives. Those imperfect moments are the moments we grow the most.” – Cara Alwill Leyba
- “There is a crack in everything, that’s how the light gets in.” – Leonard Cohen
All the Best in your quest to get Better. Don’t Settle: Live with Passion.